Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Please read me.

I thought for hours (literally) about what to write for my last post. The one that is my own creation, my own thoughts, whatever I want it to be, as crazy as I want it to be. The more I thought about it, the more I realized the less I should be thinking about it (make sense?) and the more I should just let my creative juices start oozing out. So I looked around my crowded, chaotic little dorm room at midnight for some sparks and saw my word of the day calendar. Now it's a new word every day as I rip it off, and because I am slightly neurotic I have saved every day until now, and will continue to do so until December 31, 2008. I thought I would use words from some of my favorite random days of the year, and write about war somehow. Crazy? Maybe. Fun? Definitely. I thought maybe 5 words to start? If it's not long enough, more! So the days I choose are...March 18, March 28, October 1, November 21, and December 25 (yes, I love Christmas). So reasons for those days? My favorite days. My moms birthday is the 18th, mine is the 28th, my boyfriend's is October 1st, my dads is the 21st, and the 25th is Christmas!
So here are the words: 
March 18: cunctation-n: delay
March 28: preternatural-adj: 1) existing outside of nature 2) exceeding what is natural or regular 3) inexplicable by ordinary means; especially : psychic
October 1: frugal-adj: characterized by or reflecting economy in the use of resources
November 21: garble-v: to distort the meaning or sound of
December 25: mellifluous-adj:1) having a smooth rich flow 2) filled with something (as honey) that sweetens

When you first think of war in today's world, your mind probably goes immediately to Iraq. We don't immediately think of the little wars that we fight all the time. Wars with ourselves, our friends, with our mothers about when to go to bed. Through mindless garble in everyday conversation, we have lost touch with the severity and truth of what the word war means. War has come to stand for any and every thing, not ever being something that raises the hair on the back of your neck anymore. Whatever questions are raised by the talk of war usually come with cunctation, or after we ask, "So wait what are you wearing tonight?" or "When is the pizza gonna get here?" Then it might hit us, oh wait, what did you say about the war? Any importance is delayed. 
Everyday conversation today revolves around each individual and their own selfish thoughts, and not saying we are ALL like this ALL the time, but the idea of fighting war is one I feel we have become more numb to. No matter how frugal we are in our everyday lives and no matter how much we feel we deserve more, there is always someone worse off then yourself. That saying slips out of mind much too much these days; with girls buying thousand dollar purses, then complaining how expensive it is to get their nails done so they are "cutting back" by not doing it one month. Really there are people in our country and the rest of the world who do not even know what Coach or Louis Vuitton even is. So when we think we have a divine privilege or preternatural right to spend money on frivolous things without realizing their triviality, we are fueling war by living in our own little bubbles. This is not to say how we live is wrong, but perhaps we should all just take a moment sometimes to realize how big the world really is. Life will still be mellifluous even if we think a little more about others. 

No comments: