http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/08/seal.medal/index.html
This assignment came at a perfect time, as earlier in the day I had come across an article about the war in Iraq on CNN.com that interested me. It concerned a Navy SEAL, Michael Monsoor, who had given his life in Iraq to save his comrades. He was the first Navy SEAL who received a Medal of Honor due to his actions in Iraq, although it was awarded to him after he died. He selflessly threw himself on a grenade that could have killed him and the other two soldiers he was with, but he took the full blast himself to save the lives of others. President Bush presented his parents with the Medal of Honor. The article caught my eye because the title was, "Navy SEAL paid ultimate price to save buddies," and I wondered what is the ultimate price to save your buddies? I read on to find out. Death.
This article makes a point to show the bravery and selflessness Michael Monsoor showed in Iraq. The author repeatedly reminds the reader that in a split second decision, he gave his life for the lives of his comrades. The tone of the article seems to be very respectful and honoring. Also, towards the end of the article, the author says, "Until this month, [...] few people knew of his story," which leads me to think the author wants this story and others like it to be known and appreciated more. The author describes Monsoor as "selfless" more than once, reiterating the fact that his instinct was to protect the lives of others, not his own. Perhaps the author would like to see more people with the mentality Michael Monsoor died with? I definitely would.
2 comments:
I like your analysis of this very compelling article. Your rhetorical analysis brings a new light to rhetoric, I think, because it brings a positive light to it. Usually when you are analyzing something rhetorically it's in a negative way, but this article is a breathe of fresh air; It reminds the reader that war isn't all about negativity , but that people actually have nobility in war these days, who knew?
This analysis of the article is a little short. I actually read the article yesterday becuase it had a catchy title. The only thing is that I've never heard of the ultimate price being something other than death, so for some reason I keeping reading the last sentence of your summery with this critic/informative voice in my head and then it suddenly becomes funy because i know the answer to the question and I read it with all this built up suspense. I think your rhetorical analysis is good because the article does repeatedly use words like "bravery and selflessness
Post a Comment