Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My response to Battlestar Galactica

I have never really paid attention to sci-fi shows. I have never watched Smallville, the 4400 or this battleship intergalactic show my friend Joey has talked about in his blog with such knowledge and understanding, drawing parallels to real life from what sounds like an interesting show. As my choice of a song and Joey's choice of a tv show demonstrate, we are both influenced by pop culture, as are many people our age who may or may not admit it. I think this actually supports what I tried to claim in my previous post (even though I think the message was slightly cloudy and entangled in my musings) that pop culture is a good way to influence and provide messages to people today. Whether or not everyone realizes it, pop culture influences each individual in some way. Although I have never seen Joey's show, or any of the things he mentioned, I can see the parallels he draws with battlestar galactic car and the real life war that is going on today. Although I have made it sound comical, the issues that sometimes fuel pop culture are less than funny most of the time. I just thought of another show that I actually do watch that relates real life stories and situations through pop culture; SOUTH PARK. This is a show I watch, similar to Joey watching his sci-fi shows, in that both try to relate real world situations and messages to the public, although in very different manners I would think. I don't know much about Battling Galactic Stars, but South Park takes real world things and stories, makes fun of it and then presents a deep, meaningful message at the end. The effects real life has on either show adds greatly to the shows content and meaning. I know South Park would not be the show it is without the events that occur in our day to day lives to make it funny. As I have run off on quite a tangent here I will cease after one final attempt to drive home my point. From songs to tv shows and even more, there are many different types of pop culture that draw on real life. I think the point of including metaphors, allegories and other things in media is to promote communication and understanding. No matter what show you watch, the importance is that you become informed. If it's funny, if it's sad, if it is totally off the wall and you have to dig so deep to even find the relationship to a real world issue, it still makes you think.

No comments: